These lemon cake mix cookies are bursting with flavor and will melt in your mouth. Topped with a delicious lemon icing that compliments that bright lemon flavor, you won’t be able to stop at just one!
I love lemon-flavored desserts, and these cookies really are perfect for any occasion! For some more delicious lemon treats, try making this Glazed Lemon Bread, this Lemon Coconut Cake, or these Lemon Cheesecake Bars!
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
If you were looking for a simple yet delightfully delicious lemon cookie recipe, then this one is for you! I love cake mix cookies because they are quick and easy and don’t require many ingredients. These cookies really take it over the top with a smooth lemon icing which makes these look extra special.
If you have never made a cake mix cookie before, then you will be especially surprised to find out just how delicious they are. They have a tender texture that makes this cookie so soft and chewy. The flavor takes on the cake mix, so it’s a perfect balance. It’s not overwhelming with lemon flavor. It’s just the right amount. And my favorite part? They are easy enough that my kids can easily make them themselves!
Ingredients in Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Be prepared to be shocked at how few ingredients go into these lemon cake mix cookies. Yet they are bursting with delicious flavor, so it’s the best of both worlds! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Lemon Cake Mix: You will use the entire cake mix in these cookies.
- Baking Powder: This helps the cookies stay soft.
- Vegetable Oil: The oil adds moisture to the cookies.
- Lemon Zest: Fresh lemon zest really brightens up the flavor.
- Eggs: The eggs will help to bind all of the ingredients together. They will mix better if you let them come to room temperature before combining them with the other ingredients.
- Powdered Sugar: The powdered sugar dissolves quickly and makes it so that this icing has a smooth texture.
- Lemon Zest: This brings a fresh taste to the lemon flavor.
- Lemon Juice: The juice gives the icing that lemon flavor to complement the cookies.
- Heavy Cream: You will use the cream to bind the ingredients together.
How to Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Using a cake mix as the base of the flavor and texture for these cookies really make your job so easy! These cookies take less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine: In a large bowl, combine cake mix, baking powder, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and eggs until a thick batter forms.
- Scoop: Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough onto the cookie sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake and Cool: Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. If using a large cookie scoop, the cookies may need 12-14 minutes for the edges to set. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Make the Icing: While the cookies are cooling, prepare the lemon glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream.
- Drizzle: When the cookies are completely cooled, scoop about two teaspoons of the icing onto the center of each cookie, letting it pool on top, and then run down the sides a bit. Let the icing form a crust before serving.
Here are a couple of ideas that you can try to make sure that your lemon cake mix cookies turn out perfectly every time!
- Lemon Zest: For brighter lemon flavor, add 1-2 additional teaspoons of lemon zest to the cookie batter.
- Underbake: Bake until the edges are just set, The center will look underbaked, but it will continue to cook as the cookies cool. If you bake the cookies until the centers look baked, they will cool and be hard instead of soft.
- Lemon Juice: You can use bottled lemon juice for the icing, but fresh lemon juice will have a better flavor.
How to Store Leftovers
These cookies are great to make ahead of time because they store so well! After you have finished drizzling on the icing and they have had a chance to set, then store them in an airtight container. You can store them at room temperature for up to 5 days!
Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, baking powder, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and eggs until a thick batter forms.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough onto the baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are set. If using a large cookie scoop, the cookies may need 12-14 minutes for the edges to set. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
While the cookies are cooling, prepare the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream.
When the cookies are completely cooled, scoop about 2 teaspoons of the icing onto the center of each cookie, letting it pool on top and then run down the sides a bit. Let the icing form a crust before serving.
Calories157kcal (8%)Carbohydrates34g (11%)Protein2g (4%)Fat2g (3%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.2gMonounsaturated Fat0.5gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol20mg (7%)Sodium217mg (9%)Potassium47mg (1%)Fiber0.4g (2%)Sugar22g (24%)Vitamin A45IU (1%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium74mg (7%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.