AOC calls out Harris for her remarks on immigration, telling migrants ‘do not come’

Good morning and welcome to Fox News First. Here’s what you need to know as you start your day

AOC calls Harris’ immigration comments ‘disappointing’ as VP warns migrants ‘do not come’
New York Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called Vice President Kamala Harris’ comments on immigration “disappointing” on Monday, after Harris said during a press conference that migrants looking to cross the U.S. border should not come.

In a twitter post, Ocasio-Cortez said coming to the U.S. border seeking asylum is a legal method of arrival.

The progressive Democrat also said the U.S. has contributed to destabilization in certain areas of Latin America and “we can’t help set someone’s house on fire and then blame them for fleeing.”

As previously reported by Fox News, Harris made comments appearing to clarify the administration’s stance on immigration during a visit to Guatemala, where she said the U.S. intends to continue working toward securing its border.

“I want to emphasize that the goal of our work is to help Guatemalans find hope at home, at the same time I want to be clear to folks in this region who are thinking about making the dangerous trek to the United States-Mexico border — do not come, do not come,” she said. “There are legal methods by which migration can and should occur.”

Harris said the administration would discourage illegal migration and that people who arrived at the border that way would be “turned back.” CLICK HERE FOR MORE ON OUR TOP STORY.

In other developments:
– Harris, in Guatemala, tells potential migrants they will be turned back: ‘Do not come’
– Twitter mocks Kamala Harris for passing out cookies of her faceless head to reporters
– Harris tells Guatemalan president that migration is a top priority, after he blames us for surge
– ‘Bo Snerdley’ rips ‘narcissist’ Harris for selfie cookies while fentanyl, sex trafficking flows over border
– Kamala Harris’ Mexico, Guatemala visit: Everything you need to know

California authorities vow ‘justice’ against couple accused of 6-year-old’s road rage murder
The Southern California couple suspected in connection with the road rage killing of a 6-year-old boy last month will appear in court Tuesday, as officials promised to “get justice” for the child in what they described as a disturbing case. 

Marcus Anthony Eriz, 24  and Wynne Lee, 23 were arrested Sunday at their home in Costa Mesa, located 40 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, in the death of Aiden Leos.

A vehicle, a white Volkswagen, and a gun used in the incident were recovered at different locations, California Highway Patrol Assistant Chief Don Goodbrand said during a Tuesday news conference.

Officials declined to disclose details of what led to their capture or how the pair was linked to the shooting. Prosecutors are still deciding what charge to bring, said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer. 

Eriz and Lee are being held in the Orange County jail on a $1 million bond each, according to jail records. 

The arrests came after a two-week manhunt and a day after a weekend memorial service for Leos, who was remembered as a child with a vocabulary beyond his years who exuded warmth and tenderness.

Leos was shot on May 21 while seated in a booster seat on the rear passenger side of a car being driven by his mother, Joanna Cloonan, as she drove on State Route 55 in the city of Orange on her way to drop him off at school. CLICK HERE FOR MORE.

In other developments:
– Aiden Leos shooting: Image of suspect vehicle in road rage killing released as California DA issues warning
– California mom speaks out after son, 6, was fatally shot in an apparent road-rage incident
– California family members hold vigil for boy, 6, shot dead in apparent road-rage incident
– Reward reaches $300K for California freeway shooter who killed 6-year-old

Michigan confirms first human case of virus with 40% fatality rate
Michigan health officials on Monday reported the state’s first confirmed human case of the deadly hantavirus.

The rat-borne illness, which U.S. health officials say cannot be transmitted from person-to-person, is typically passed to patients when they breathe in air contaminated with the virus through rodent droppings.

The confirmed case under investigation by county and state health officials involved a woman in Washtenaw County, “recently hospitalized with a serious pulmonary illness from Sin Nombre hantavirus,” according to a release from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services. “The individual was likely exposed when cleaning an unoccupied dwelling that contained signs of an active rodent infestation.”

It’s also possible to contract the virus through a bite from an infected rodent, or if people touch something that has been contaminated with rodent urine, droppings or saliva and then touch their own nose or mouth. It may also be possible to contract the virus by eating food contaminated by an infected rodent’s droppings, urine or saliva, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CLICK HERE FOR MORE.

In other developments:
– FDA approves Biogen’s Alzheimer’s drug
– Breast-cancer pill reduces recurrence, death risks, study shows

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

TODAY’S MUST-READS:
– California cops acted on tips, enhanced images to track down road rage shooting suspects
– Ilhan Omar says America, like Hamas and the Taliban, has committed ‘unthinkable atrocities’
– Atlanta police arrest man in drive-by shooting spree through tony Buckhead area; victims include father of 3
– Bill Gates’ divorce could expose affairs, inappropriate behavior covered up by NDAs: report
– Minneapolis’ ‘Defund police’ fallout: 14-year-old gunned down at grad party, 19-year-old shot at street race

THE LATEST FROM FOX BUSINESS:
– Ex-McDonald’s CEO warns wage hikes could have unintended consequences
– Trump: Bitcoin’s a scam, US dollar should dominate
– These countries have the highest and lowest corporate tax rates
– Starbucks locations face supply shortages nationwide
– Subway hits franchisees with new snow closure rules

#TheFlashback: CLICK HERE to find out what happened on “This Day in History.”

SOME PARTING WORDS

Sean Hannity explained Thursday how Sen. Joe Manchin’s vote on the Democrat’s For the People Act is angering members of his party and the media’s reaction to his vote.

“Joe Manchin is feeling the wrath of his own party’s Woke mob,” Hannity said, “Now, Manchin recently opposed SR1 and, of course, eliminating the filibuster. Now, because of Manchin’s common sense, constitutional opposition to the radical socialist left mob’s power grab, his fellow Democrats and the media mob are now denouncing his moves as racist.

Not signed up yet for Fox News First? Click here to find out what you’re missing.

Fox News’ Go Watch page is now available, providing visitors with Pay TV provider options in their area carrying Fox News Channel & Fox Business Network.

Fox News First was compiled by Fox News’ Jack Durschlag. Thank you for making us your first choice in the morning! We’ll see you in your inbox first thing Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories