On this day, June 6 …
1944: During World War II, Allied forces storm the beaches of Normandy, France, on “D-Day” as they begin the liberation of German-occupied Western Europe.
Also on this day:
- 1925: The Chrysler Corp. is founded by Walter Percy Chrysler.
- 1933: The first drive-in movie theater is opened by Richard Hollingshead in Camden County, New Jersey.
- 1939: The first Little League game is played as Lundy Lumber defeats Lycoming Dairy 23-8 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
- 1966: Black activist James Meredith is shot and wounded while walking along a Mississippi highway to encourage Black voter registration.
- 1978: California voters overwhelmingly approve Proposition 13, a primary ballot initiative calling for major cuts in property taxes.
- 1982: Israeli forces invade Lebanon to drive Palestine Liberation Organization fighters out of the country.
- 2002: President George W. Bush announces the creation of a new Cabinet department, the Department of Homeland Security.
- 2015: American Pharaoh becomes the first horse in 37 years to win the Triple Crown.
- 2018: Breaking with President Trump, House Speaker Paul Ryan says there is no evidence that the FBI planted a “spy” in Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.